יום ראשון, 19 בפברואר 2017

It Is All Worth It

Shmuel Yosef Agnon, a Nobel Prize laureate writer and one of the central figures of modern Hebrew fiction, visited the Rogatchover and wrote the following: 

I went into his room and found him suffering immensely from his sickness. When he noticed me he started to pour out his heart to me. “I am afraid,” he said, “that all my suffering is a result of my not being respectful enough of the Rishonim. All my days I immersed myself in the Rambam’s Mishneh Torah; it was my central focus and toil and even when I learnt other Rishonim, I only studied them to gain more understanding and perspective of the Rambam’s approach.” “He then started to cry,” continued Agnon, “and yelled out,” “Where are the other masters of the Torah? Where are Rashi and Tosafot? Where are the Raavan and the Ri? What have I done? Why did I not put effort into understanding and expounding upon their words? It is because of this I am being punished.”

 He was silent for a bit, and then a spirit of calm settled over him. “It is all worth it,” he declared suddenly. “If I am suffering because of my connection and bond to the Rambam I accept the pain joyously!”

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה